In this episode of the Student Fitness Expert Podcast, Karen Gilbert, alongside her co-host, Farah Zweig, interviewed a UCLA-trained pediatrician and working mom, Tanya Altmann.
Dr.Tanya shares her best practices to restructure the school life of children and what role parents can play to empower their kids. Dr. Tanya also discusses the challenges schools have to face to prevent a sudden spike in cases.
Tune in to learn more insights on the role of fitness for kids and the array of benefits that healthy eating offers.
About the Guest:
A UCLA-trained pediatrician and mom of three, Dr. Tanya Altmann is a nationally recognized child health expert, spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics, Assistant Clinical Professor at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital, and Adjunct Clinical Professor at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. She is the author of several best-selling parenting books, including Baby and Toddler Basics, What to Feed Your Baby. She is Editor-in-Chief of the American Academy of Pediatrics’, Caring for Your Newborn, and Young Child: Birth to Age 5.
- [00:43] About Tanya, a snippet of her journey
- [2:16] What inspired to get into Pediatrics
- [3:13] What role fitness plays in children life
- [7:30] Why is building social and emotional skills in childhood matters
- [9:21] Must-have nutrition for kids | Healthy eating tips
- [18:28] The impact of COVID-19 on kids
- [21:54] Best piece of advice for parents
- [26:57] Any particular moment that influenced the role fitness plays in Tanya’s life
- [34:23] Where to learn more from Dr. Tanya
“Every day you get older, your taste buds change, even the things you don’t like right now; you may like them soon.”
“You can either sit home and be sad about it or think about how I can make today a better day.”
“There are so many issues we can prevent if we just focus on them when they are young.”
Highly Recommended Books:
- “Baby and Toddler Basics” https://amzn.to/30ogyXQ
- “What To Feed Your Baby” https://amzn.to/2E0omYl
- “Mommy Calls” https://amzn.to/30stv2z
- “The Wonder Years” https://amzn.to/32DGZLX
Connect with Tanya:
Youtube Channel: https://bit.ly/2Bg0P4w